Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Usa Local News

Surfside Recovery Efforts Entering Day 18; Death Number of 86 – NBC Bay Area


What is known

  • The death toll now stands at 86, with 43 people still missing
  • More than 13 million pounds of concrete and debris were removed from the site, officials said
  • A ceremony was held to honor Israeli rescuers who came to help affected families in Surfsideside apartment fall

As recovery workers enter the 18th day to find victims of Surfside’s apartment debris falling, the death toll stands at 86.

Israeli teams, which were among the first international teams to respond to the tragedy at Champlain Towers South in Surfside, will return home on Sunday.

A ceremony was held before their departure on Saturday to honor the teams and thank them for their assistance. Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava decorated the heroes with medals.

A ceremony was held at the Surfside on Saturday night to honor Israeli research teams and give families affected by the collapse of Champlain Towers South a chance to thank first responders. Ryan Nelson of NBC 6 reported that.

The death toll from the collapse of the Surfside apartment reached 86 on Saturday after rescue teams discovered seven other bodies in Champlain Towers South debris.

At a news conference Saturday, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said 43 people could remain missing.

Levine Cava says: “Please pray for all those who have lost their loved ones and whose hearts have been broken in this indescribable tragedy, and for those who are still waiting.”

Teams worked around the clock despite a bad change in the mission from rescue rescue earlier this week. Levine Cava thanks those who contributed to the recovery.

“I want to thank everyone around the world and here at home, from the bottom of my heart, who have cared for us every day for the past 16 days, and especially to the extraordinary teams of our local communities and states and across the country that is a part is part of the largest non-hurricane response efforts in the history of Florida and especially first responders by Levine Cava.

The number of recovered bodies has weighed heavily on the Miami-Dade medical examiner’s office, and the forensic doctor from neighboring Broward County is now helping. The mayor said more than 60 of the 86 victims had been identified.

Detectives are still verifying that each of the people reported missing was actually inside the building when it collapsed.

Meanwhile, officials on Saturday said the number of victims recovered had increased as the crew were unable to remove a large amount of debris from the deck. More than 13 million pounds of concrete and debris were removed from the site, officials said. Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said the pole is now lower at ground level and in some areas.

Authorities also identified the bodies of eight victims who were recovered during the week. They are: Elena Blasser, 64, Elena Chavez, 87, Nicole Langesfeld, 26, Ana Mora, 70, Marina Restrepo Azan, 76, Miguel Pazos, 55, Richard Rovirosa, 60, and Oresme Gil Guerra, 60. The bodies of a A 5-year-old and a 44-year-old were found this week not identified at the request of their families.

Burkett said on Saturday that he hopes to financially help all affected businesses in the Surfside apartment fall.

“I want to announce that I am in the process of setting up a fund for our downtown business that has been shut down ever since this tragedy unfolded,” Burkett said. “Not only were they close, but while they were closed, they made and delivered food to all their support teams, search and rescue teams, and others. Given their generosity and compassion, I feel on duty I do something then do too. ”I can do to help them through this difficult time. “

NBC’s Johnny Archer 6 is on Surfside to talk to Florida State Fire Marshal Jimmy Patronis about how demolition has accelerated the process.

Levine Cava said the team had collected and cataloged many personal items, including legal documents, photo albums, jewelry and electronic goods and places they would like to reunite their families.

Hopes for survivors were revived shortly after workers demolished the rest of the building and gained access to new sections of debris.

There were some cavities where survivors could be trapped, mostly in the basement and parking garages, but no survivors were found. Instead, teams recovered more than a dozen additional casualties.

Since the first hours after the collapse of the 12-storey building on June 24, no one has been pulled out of the water alive.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

San Francisco Local News

WASHINGTON (AP) – Former President Donald Trump has filed a lawsuit against three of the country’s largest technology companies, claiming that he and other...

San Francisco Local News

(CBS Baltimore) — Millions of Americans have relied on stimulus checks to boost their finances during COVID. The pandemic seems to be nearing its...

Entertainment

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

San Francisco Local News

SANTA CRUZ (BCN / CBS SF) – A woman who died in a homicide last week in Santa Cruz has been involved in a...